First of all I would like to apologise for the incredibly oddly shaped muffins that I have made. There is an explanation for this mistake. I hadn’t realised until it was too late that I had let my friend borrow my muffin tin. So i had to make do and line the insides of a cake tin with the muffin cases, which therefore resulted in not the most aesthetic looking cakes. However, I can guarantee they tasted far far far better than they looked!
The whole reason why I was making these muffins was because I had a friend coming over who doesn’t like icing that much. I KNOW! Who doesn’t like icing?! So I thought i would just whip up a quick batch of the hummingbird bakery chocolate muffins and my friend would enjoy them. They were so fluffy and delicious, not to mention incredibly easy to make.
Here’s the recipe:
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 130g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 ml whole milk
- 160g butter
- 120 milk or dark chocolate (or a mixture if you would like)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Mix the sugar and eggs with an electric whisk or free standing electric mixer. Mix until pale and creamy for about 2 – 3 mins
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl
- In a jug measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract
- Chop up the chocolate into chocolate chip sized chunks
- Melt the butter in a different bowl
- Add the flour mixture and the milk mixture into the eggs bit by bit, stirring in-between each addition
- Mix then in the melted butter
- Stir in the chocolate
- Bake for around 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
Here is my attempt at trying to make do without a muffin tin….
I loved how they turned out. So soft and light in the middle. If you aren’t a huge fan of rich, dense chocolate cake then this is definitely a good recipe for you.
Even though they could have looked better, they were super fluffy and moist with a almost brownie like top! And they were eaten very quickly aswell.